Everybody loves fried rice. Having a tried and true recipe to rely on for quick dinners is a must. While this basic recipe is a great on its own, it is easily modified to suit your needs (and your pantry).
This simple recipe is the perfect accompaniment to Van’s Kitchen chicken egg rolls. Add them to the oven right after you pull the chicken out so they are hot and ready to serve when your rice is complete. The rest of the recipe goes very quickly. The only thing that needs to be done in advance is the rice. It is best to use cold rice, preferably rice that was made the day before.
KITCHEN TIP: To get more depth of flavor in your rice, Mrs. Kim recommends adding a bit of soy sauce and chicken bouillon cubes to your water when preparing.
Feel like seafood? No problem. This recipe is made with chicken, but that could easily be substituted with shrimp. It’s so versatile. For example, in this recipe a mix of frozen Asian style vegetables was used, but you could surely stick to peas and carrots if that is what you want… or have readily on hand. The basic flavor profile comes from the rice, sesame oil, onion, egg, and soy sauce. The rest is up to you.
You’ll be thrilled at how easy it is to make this delicious rice as a side dish for your Van’s Kitchen chicken egg rolls. These two dishes together make a complete meal that your family and friends will ask for again and again.
- 2 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- 1½ cups frozen vegetables of your choice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups cooked rice, cold
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Pat chicken breasts dry and lightly rub with a drizzle of olive oil. Salt and pepper both sides liberally. Place on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes. If you have a meat thermometer, insert it into the thickest part of one breast and remove the breasts when they have reached an internal temperature of 165˚F.
- While the chicken breasts roast, heat sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and slightly translucent (3-5 min). Add the frozen vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and tender. (about 5 minutes).
- Place the egg rolls on a parchment lined baking sheet and put them in the oven when you take the chicken out. Cook the egg rolls for 10-12 minutes or until warmed and golden brown.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan, keeping the oil in the pan, to make space to cook the scrambled egg. Cook the egg in the remaining oil, stirring frequently. Add the vegetables back to the pan and toss with the scrambled egg. Add the rice and toss gently. Pour the soy sauce over the ingredients and toss to fully combine. Cook until rice is completely warmed through, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- After chicken has been removed and rested on the tray for at least 5 minutes, cut it into small cubes. Add the cubes to the rice mixture and toss to fully combine.
- Serve with Van’s Kitchen chicken egg rolls.