Sometimes all you need is a bowl of warm soup to take the chill off or add a little homey comfort to the end of a long day. Mom knew it. Moms everywhere know that a soothing bowl of chicken soup can change everything. Consider this weeknight pho recipe as chicken noodle soup, but with a fresh, asian, slightly spicy twist.
The recipe is fairly straightforward and incredibly easy to prepare. The addition of Van’s Kitchen egg rolls enhances the asian flavor and makes a robust broth for the noodles. You will be surprised at how hearty yet light this soup is.
If properly planned, this recipe can be on the table in about 20 minutes. Start by preheating the oven. Next put water on to boil for the noodles. Immediately afterwards, get the soup cooking. As soon as the oven is ready, bake the egg roll wrappers. Place the noodles in the boiling water. While those components cook, shred the chicken and chop the toppings. Drain and rinse the noodles, cut the egg roll wrappers into strips, and assemble.
There is a spicy element to this recipe that can be tweaked based on your personal preference. If you prefer less heat, cut back on the jalapeño and be sure to avoid any of the seeds. Also, you may want to consider a little less ginger and garlic. To get the full effect of the freshness of this recipe, be sure to use plenty of fresh herbs. They will add a surprising brightness that will likely change your mind about chicken noodle soup forever.
- White meat from 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 oz. dry rice noodles
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 T fresh ginger, grated
- 2 T hoisin sauce
- 1 T fish sauce
- Filling from 4 Van’s Kitchen Chicken Egg Rolls
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, cook the rice noodles according to instructions; drain and set aside.
- Cut the ends from each of the egg rolls. Cut the wrapper of each egg roll lengthwise on one side. Carefully open the egg roll and remove the filling from each, keeping the wrapper intact. Put the wrappers aside for later use.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Heat another pot over medium heat. Add shredded chicken, garlic, and ginger and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add chicken stock, hoisin sauce, fish sauce, and egg roll filling to the pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- While the soup simmers, flatten the reserved egg roll wrappers and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake the egg roll wrappers for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned, dry, and crisp. After cooling slightly, cut the wrappers into thin strips.
- While the egg roll wrappers bake, slice the scallions, lime wedges, jalapeño, and any oversized herb leaves.
- Divide the noodles among 4 bowls. Divide the soup and then the toppings evenly over the noodles. Garnish each bowl with crispy egg rolls wrapper strips just before serving. Serve warm.